energy performance certificates

From April 2008 all commercial buildings which are constructed, sold or let will require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
The Regulations provide for a phased introduction.
From 6th April 2008 Certificates are required for commercial buildings with floor areas exceeding 1,000 sq m.
From 1st July 2008 Certificates are required for commercial buildings with floor areas exceeding 500 sq m.
From 1st October 2008 certificates are required for all remaining commercial buildings.
The Regulations emanate from the EU Energy Performance of Buildings Directive which was introduced into the UK from January 2006 with provisions for implementation over a 3 year period ending in January 2009.
The building owner is responsible for providing a Certificate.
An Energy Performance Certificate has a life span of ten years before a replacement is required.
Exempt Buildings
Some buildings are exempt from the regulations as follows:-
  1. Places of worship.

  2. Stand alone buildings of less than 50 sq m.

  3. Temporary buildings with a planned time of use of two years or less.

  4. Certain buildings with a low energy use such as barns and similar stores.

  5. Buildings which are to be demolished.

  6. Buildings where construction has not been completed. 

Back to Top
Scope of Assessment
The Energy Performance Assessor takes into consideration the following matters:
  1. Thermal characteristics of the building.

  2. The heating and hot water systems.

  3. Air-conditioning and artificial ventilation systems.

  4. Lighting installation.

  5. The position and orientation of the building.

  6. Solar system.

  7. Natural ventilation.

Commercial buildings included within the regulations include retail units, offices, shops, industrial units, hotels, public institutions and Government buildings.
Legal Requirements
The regulations require that Display Energy Certificates be displayed in public buildings with information relating to the energy rating and the usage.
Failure to provide an Energy Performance Certificate can result in a fine of 12.5% of the rateable value of the building up to a maximum of 5,000.  Enforcement of the regulations is the responsibility of the local trading standards officers.
An Energy Performance Certificate may be for a whole building or part of a building which is separately occupied.
Only accredited Energy Assessors are able to carry out assessments to produce Energy Performance Certificates.  All Energy Assessors must be registered with an approved Government accreditation scheme.
Our Energy Performance Certificate Service
Our accredited Energy Assessors are qualified to carry out assessments to produce Energy Performance Certificates and Display Energy Certificates for all types of commercial property.  

James Flynn  Surveyors?

We are an independent firm of surveyors and have been advising clients on all aspects of property value and condition since 1980 from our offices in London, Surrey, Hampshire, Sussex and Kent.  We mainly cover the London and South East region but travel further afield when this is requested.

Back to Top

To contact us please select from the appropriate area link below:

London  | Surrey | Sussex | Hampshire | Kent


Print the content of this page