building regulations

The Building Act 1984 requires all buildings to be constructed to minimum technical standards. 

These relate to structure, insulation, drainage, ventilation, fire escape, access etc.

Building Regulations Approval

An application to the local authority with drawings and calculations is necessary in most cases.  An application may be a 'Full Plans Application' or a 'Building Notice' application.

Where relatively minor works are to be carried out, approval may be obtained by the 'Building Notice' procedure. 

Notice is served on the local authority at least 48 hours before such works commence and the Building Control Officer inspects the works.  If the works are straightforward the Building Control Officer approves them but may require structural calculations, drawings and specifications.

A Full Plans Application is necessary in most cases and includes:-  

1.    Detailed construction drawings.
2.    Specification of works.
3.    Structural and thermal performance calculations.
4.    Completed application forms.

James Flynn Surveyors?

We are an independent firm of surveyors and have been advising clients on all aspects of property value and condition since 1980 from our offices in London, Surrey, Hampshire, Sussex and Kent.  We mainly cover the London and South East region but travel further afield when this is requested.

Back to Top

To contact us please select from the appropriate area link below:

London  | Surrey | Sussex | Hampshire | Kent


Print the content of this page